Sent the kiddo off to kindergarten today. All of my friends kept saying to prepare for tears and that it would be a hard day. I felt unprepared dropping him off in terms of not really knowing what was expected of us as parents but not in mental or emotional preparedness to leave my kid at school. I've been dropping him off at a daycare, mother's day out, or pre-school since he was 13 weeks old. That means that I have been paying for childcare for nearly 5 years. That means that when I dropped him off at the public school today knowing that our days of paying for school are done for the next 12 years, I was elated! I had a skip to my step and as the hubs described it I was hightailing it out of the school, practically running other parents over to get home!
I'm not totally heartless and I do love my kid. I am just very confident in his ability to socialize and learn in a new school environment. We've essentially been preparing for this day for 5 years. The kid loved his first day of school. I think he's in for a rude awakening when they do more than just play time at school though. These first few days will be bliss until he realizes they will try to teach him to read and write and do math. THAT day I'm dreading. THIS day... was grand!
Too bad there's no "LIKE" function for blogs.
ReplyDelete