In thinking about Advent and how this is a time of
anticipation… anticipation of the arrival of Jesus… expectations of joy and
peace… I think of how anticipation, expectation, and waiting have become the
norm throughout the entire calendar of my life and not just during the Advent
season.
I am always in a state of anticipation. I feel as if I’m always waiting for whatever
it is that I am waiting for. For an impatient person, it’s a very tiring
practice.
I am waiting for the next step in my husband’s schooling. I
am waiting for the day my child eats a meal without protest. I am waiting for
the day we can feel financially stable. I am waiting to discover the magic pill
that will just melt the fat off the regions I obsess over. I am waiting…
anticipating… expecting that all of this will bring peace and joy… and
affirmation that the wait was worthwhile.
I know that I’m focusing so much on the end result that I am
losing sight of the present. I am so caught up in the “what is to come” that I
overlook what blessings and miracles are happening right before my eyes every
day.
But what I know and what I practice are definitely not in
the same realm. I often wonder if I’m capable of letting go of the anticipation
and living in the promise. Perhaps if I gave it more than 30 seconds my focus
would shift and I would feel the joy, the peace, the hope that I mentally know
awaits me now.
No comments:
Post a Comment