Friday, September 30, 2011

Storytelling

You know how some people are just really good at story telling? They have the right cadence, the cool librarian voice that takes on the characters and sets the perfect mood. Yeah, I don't have that gift. The kid at his wise age of 4 has figured that out too. When I'm feeling lazy and don't want to read a bedtime story, I try to tell him a made up story from my own imagination. That idea usually gets squashed real fast with a "Mama, I want a REAL story. From a book. I want a story that tells a story."

Yup, that's me. Not a good story teller. I can't manage to keep the sequence of events or characters names right, and you would think to a pre-schooler that would be alright but clearly not for mine.

This is also why I am a horrible joke teller. I can't quite get to the punchline so it actually has a punch. My jokes require an explanation and a follow up explanation or a diagram. It's amazing I was a reporter once upon a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment