Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Year in review Ornaments

This year I'm a little short on cash but full of craft. I am slowly making Year in Review ornament gifts for friends and family. Directions for my future reference:

Materials:
Photos (see below)
Mod Podge
3 1/4" Craft Ornament (I used clear)
Xacto knife
Scissors
Foam brush
Straw
4" of thin ribbon

1) Stalk their facebook albums for highlights of the year. (I figured if it was something they wanted to post for the world to see, it was a highlight of their year.) I picked between 10-15 pictures and pasted them into a photoshop document and chose some words to describe the year. (When I was extra crafty I cut words out of magazines but I found my magazines were kind of low on the fun happy words so I just printed my own words in a fun font.) Pictures were each shrunken down to about 1/2" to 1" in height. I just printed on my color printer and then cut out the pictures and words.

2) Use the Mod Podge (I prefer glossy) and apply to the pictures and start gluing. Because the ornament is round, you'll need to use scissors or Xacto to cut little slits on the curved parts to help lay flat. Don't use too much Mod Podge or your pictures will be too soft and tear easily. There's no science to how or where to paste the images but I just tried to fill the space and not leave too much opening.

3) When you're done pasting all of the words and photos, apply another coat of Mod Podge over the entire ornament. But not thick! Then hang to dry. I don't have a fancy drying rack so I fashioned a straw through the ornament loop and hung them between two jars. I'm so fancy!

It takes about 30 minutes to dry and then take a little ribbon to tie a loop to hang! Voila!

The finished project: is pretty fun and hopefully something you can look back on for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment