Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Night Terrors

You haven't truly experienced night terrors until your child has night terrors... on an airplane... strapped into his five-point harness car seat... with hours left on the trip... and all eyes are on you with that look of "What are you doing to that kid?" and "Make that kid stop." My poor kid suffers from night terrors and has for as long as I can remember. Whenever he has them I feel so helpless. I don't know what to do. I have read you shouldn't wake them up, just let them ride it out and keep them from hurting themselves as they scream bloody murder and flail their arms like crazy. I know these parenting experts who dispensed that advice never had to deal with a kid with night terrors on a plane full of judging eyes. 

I'm thinking about night terrors tonight because as my hubby and I are trying to get through our shows on the DVR, I hear whimpering coming from the kid's room. This is usually the precursor to the oh-so-fun night of screaming and gibberish. Poor kid. I hope he outgrows them.

2 comments:

  1. He will. Mine did. It's the craziest thing to watch. My husband was sure he had a brain tumor (always-jump-to-the-worst-possible--scenario man). Eyes wide open, no acknowledgment that you're in the room, screaming.

    He's outgrown it. Hmmm...maybe I should check with his roommate.

    ReplyDelete