I haven't felt like I've had much to say lately. But today I want to share my thoughts on going to the dentist (as the throbbing pain in my jaw is an indicator that this is a timely topic).
Going to the dentist to have anything beyond a cleaning may perhaps be the most unnatural thing I do. I was not genetically blessed with good teeth. I'm fairly certain between my parents and I, we've spent more on my teeth than on my college education. I don't have a single tooth in my mouth that hasn't been fixed in one way or another. I no longer use Novocaine when I get fillings. If they hit a nerve, I cringe and move on. Today was a milestone in my dental history.
Today I had to get my first ever crown. I sure as hell hope this is my last crown for a couple of reasons. 1) these suckers are freakin' expensive!! 2) Two and half hours of drilling, drilling, drilling torture and we're only half way done?! (And only half way done paying for it-- thanks, payment plan!) They were supposed to put in a filling too but we ran out of time and I threw up in my mouth a little when they told me how much that would add to my bill. I don't think they appreciated that.
I did let them numb me today though. But I wish there was a way to numb my eardrums. I put on my earbuds and cranked up my iPod as loud as I could but nothing drowned out the shrieking of the drill. I started thinking what aliens would think if they came and saw people laying in chairs while others stood around them drilling, squirting water and sucking water for hours on end. Would they think this was completely bizarre too? I had a lot of time to think while I was reclined.
So I'm only half way done with the crown process. I have to protect this temporary weird spacer cap until the shiny smooth real crown is ready. Two weeks and then I return for more torture and to pay them the other half of the torture fee. I really really really hate going to the dentist. Really. Truly. Hate.
yikes. i didn't know your teeth were that bad! i've had 2 fillings as an adult and only 2 as a kid. i do brush too hard and have been tearing away at my enamel along the gumline, apparently.
ReplyDelete